These characteristics function as building blocks when builiding scenarios about the future media services and applications. The following characteristics can be deployed in scenarios in different ways to produce variations. Those scenario variations can then be tested by discussing with potential users. For example, fixed applications gratify partially different needs than totally mobile ones.
Note: AudioFuturo premises follow mainly those of Future Media Home ones formulated by Kari-Hans Kommonen in September 1998.
- All audio equipment will be, if desired, portable, wearable, disposable/recycleable, customizable and context sensitive.
- All audio can be easily mixed and remixed. We assume that in the future copyright control is arranged in a reasonable way, eg. by using digital watermarking.
- You have the possibility to record digitally everything you hear and store it for your own use. The same applies to the future forms of broad- and narrowcasting.
- The secrecy of your recordings will be close to the secrecy of your own mind. They cannot be used as legal or any other kind of evidence!
- You have an easy access to all public soundscapes, tunes, programmes etc. Regardless of the producers status. I.e. anyone can be a producer.
- Everyone has got the technical means for working as a freelance -journalist, -soundscape producer, etc. The tools of consumption can be used as tools of production, as well.
- Voice-text-voice configurations will be much more sophisticated than today. Speech synthesis will not sound like a robot talking and speech recognition will understand more than just single words.
- If you record something digitally the recording can be semi-automatically indexed by keywords, keysounds, breaks, etc. These indexes do not have to be pre-programmed. I.e. somekind of content-based indexing works.
- Computers can learn basic semantics (pike is a fish, three is a number, december refers to calender etc.)
- The size of recording-mixing-listening equipments can be as small as necessary for their desired function: size is no longer a technical but a design qestion.
- You can track down your own exact location, but not anybody elses, unless they wish so.
- Four dimensional, portable, Hi-Fi sound is available for all (tele)audiocommunicaton if desired.
- All audio systems can work wirelessly, if desired. For example your the headphone microphone combination can be "invisible".
- Feedback, rankings, matching
- Component structure
- Cut-copy-paste-save-send - doing these functions easily should be one of the basic characteristics in future applications, be it audio, text, still pics or video.
- Languages of interaction: visual, auditive & tactile (based on different senses but the same generic syntax & semantics).
- A generic vocaburary for navigation in nonlinear sound. See Audioweb scenario about generic customizable audio archive application.
- Wearable & mobile media communicating with each other.
- Analog & digital